Tuesday, July 9, 2013

my diabetes real life community: meet angela

i'm introducing my friends who i know in 'real life' that have diabetes.

today, you get to meet angela. we met when i was a freshman in high school, her sister stephanie and i went to school together and are great friends!



angela works for humana, a company she's worked with for nine years. angela is married to her high school sweetheart, bo. they have three beautiful kids: nathan, emily and derek. they have two dogs and live in louisville, ky. she loves to get together with family and friends, she hates sitting still, she's always on the move and she loves to do crafts and stay busy! 

what type of diabetes do you have?
I have type 1 diabetes

how long have you had it/when were you diagnosed?
22 years

can you tell us a quick summary of your diagnosis story?
We were on a summer vacation in Florida, I was 13. I stayed thirsty and then was constantly in the bathroom. I thought I had a bladder infection which was common for me growing up ... Instead they found sugar in my urine and I spent 5 days at Kosair Children's Hospital in Louisville.

how do you treat it (shots, pump, pen, etc)? do you use any other technologies (CGM, etc)? 
I have been on a pump for over 12 years.

what are some of your daily concerns, worries or considerations?
I get very busy with the kids and work so I don't check my blood sugar like I should..

what do you wish people without diabetes understood?
I'm not dying! And please don't tell me what I should or should not eat!!!

how do you describe the feeling and symptoms of lows and to people who don't have diabetes?
It's a feeling like you haven't eaten in a week! You feel lifeless, shaky and have no energy.

what about the feeling and symptoms of highs?
The worst hangover ever! Lol, headaches, constantly in the bathroom and dehydrated..

what's your go-to treatment for lows?
SweeTarts... I keep them in my purse at all times

what's your meal plan? do you follow a special diet? do you enjoy the same treats that 'everyone else' does?
No I don't but I need to

what diabetes myth do you wish would get busted?
Everyone bases what they saw on Steel Magnolias... I'm not going to fall apart!

what would you tell someone who was just diagnosed with diabetes? 
Don't worry! It's not as bad as people make it out to be. You will survive.

what's your favorite flavor cupcake? 
White cake with chocolate icing :)

No comments:

Post a Comment